I so so wish I could knit well enough to make the Arne & Carlos eggs but my confidence lies in sewing, so I decided to have a go at some fabric eggs instead. I really wasn’t sure I could make anything worth hanging on our little Easter tree but I thought I’d have a go anyway.
Well that turned out better than eggspected! Right, one a day until Easter sunday it will be!
Day two. I used four different florals for the first egg but this time I decided to stick to two.
Day three. Ignore the fact that this one is wonky. I’m trying to! Actually if I’m honest, this one is a bit of a mess. There’s always one cracked egg in the box right?
The Easter tree! Actually it’s only a bit of branch that I found lying about in my daughter’s garden. Apple tree just in case anyone has a burning desire to know.
Hopefully it will look a bit more lively once I’ve added another four eggs. Watch this space.
It’s been a busy couple of weeks here. Schools have gone back to in person learning and with that comes a new routine that includes home Covid tests twice a week on top of lunch boxes and laundering uniform. It’s all starting to feel a bit relentless and I frequently imagine us all on a giant hamster wheel.
On a more positive note, we have had a few days of sunshine here and there. Mostly the cold crisp kind but yesterday I stepped outside to get the washing off the line and it felt warm! It prompted inspection of the ‘yarden’ and I spotted the purple sprouting broccoli starting to form heads and a clump of chives well up and probably ready for the occasional snipping for salads and omelettes.
I’m very aware that Spring is here but I’ve not formed a relationship with it this year. Sometimes I get quite absorbed in the energy of all that life bursting forth but this year I feel a little more subdued in my celebrations. Is this what a pandemic does to you after a year I wonder? I feel like I’ve lost all sense of looking forward so have been looking at ways I can cheer myself up. I’m not normally one for buying myself flowers but last week I had some Daffodils delivered with my supermarket delivery and it lifted the spirits of everyone in the house so I bought another bunch this week. I’m not sure of the variety but they are lovely. Perhaps someone can leave a comment and let me know?
I don’t have much news from the creative realm this week even though I have been quite busy with my hands. It’s been one of those weeks where I seem to have made a mess of nearly everything I’ve picked up. I did manage a pair of slippers for myself after frogging one or both feet at least once. Then I started another pair for my youngest daughter in the lovely yarn pictured below but only managed one foot before I messed up the second one. It’s a pattern any beginner should be able to manage but I struggle with elements of my working memory (always have) so this is about my limit for knitting patterns. Needless to say, I’ve made a lot of scarves over the years! People ask why I continue to knit when my memory issues are so limiting but I get so much satisfaction from simple repetitive knitting patterns that it’s something I like to keep going. I do go long periods not doing any knitting sometimes and inevitably I always end up having to teach myself the basics all over again. Youtube tutorials are wonderful for this. My daughter has just taught herself to crochet watching Youtubers and is already churning out the Granny Squares!
It seemed to turn into a ‘using up leftovers’ sort of weekend as I also started a cotton dishcloth. I’d seen a trick on the internet about weighing the yarn before you start so you can work out roughly when you’re halfway through the yarn and start decreasing at that point to avoid too much wastage. It’s a great idea in principle it’s just that it didn’t work for me and I ran short. No problem I thought, I’ll just finish one corner with a different colourway. It’s only a dish cloth after all. Well it wasn’t meant to be. I messed that up too and couldn’t work out how to rescue it so that didn’t work out either. This weekend’s crafting has resulted in one and a half pairs of slippers. Not quite what I had planned but that’s how it is.
I hope you had a less frustrating weekend my friends!
Just a quick one today friends, to share progress on my current EPP project.
Here he is, two sides completed. Now all I need to do is prepare the middle section. So far it’s been pretty simple to construct. How easy it will be to stitch it all together, turn right side out and stuff, I don’t know. I suppose I’ll find out soon. If it’s straightforward I can see the place turning into a patchwork Battersea!
That said, whilst I do like a friendly dog, I am rather fond of the aloof and superior Feline members of our society too so I think I have a pattern tweek to try. If it works, I will share it here on the blog.
That’s it for today. I said it would be a quick one! Hope you’re all enjoying the sunshine. It’s certainly lifting my spirits!
Edit: I have no idea why the picture was linking to a certain supermarket website but it’s fixed now.
Hello I’m Natalie. Textiles artist, amateur vintage Laura Ashley collector, massive Bagpuss fan (hence Auntie Feedle) and novice English Paper Piecer. Once country bumpkin, now urban dweller. I love tiny floral prints, folk anything and prancing about in old Laura Ashley gear. Regular time traveller to the 1970s.